Edinburgh International Book Festival is the place, and two of Tiny Owl’s most talented author/illustrators are attending. If you are in Edinburgh on 27th and 28th of August, get your tickets and don’t miss out!
MARJAN VAFAIAN: TRANSFORMING TIMELESS TALES
Sat 27 Aug 10:00am – 11:00am Baillie Gifford Imagination Lab £5.00
Bring two ancient tales of love to life with illustrator Marjan Vafaian. Get colourful and creative as you replicate the beautiful illustrations found in Marjan’s The Parrot and the Merchant and Bijan & Manije. From a timeless tale from 13th century philosopher Rumi, to a 1000 year old Persian myth, give these age-old works a vibrant new twist in this hands-on workshop.
THE UNIVERSITY OF EDINBURGH EVENT
REIMAGINING ISLAMIC FABLES AND SCOTTISH MYTHS
Sat 27 Aug 12:15pm – 1:15pm Baillie Gifford Corner Theatre £5.00
FAMILIES & 8+
Two illustrators from different cultural backgrounds reimagine ancient stories. Kate Leiper has illustrated a number of traditional Scottish tales, and recently worked in Pakistan as part of a Book Festival/Highlight Arts residency. Iranian author-illustrator Marjan Vafaian’s The Parrot and the Merchant, re-explores a tale by 13th century Islamic philosopher Rumi. Find out what it’s like to bring old stories back to life. Sponsored and supported by the Alwaleed Centre.
MARJAN VAFAIAN’S BIG DRAW
Sat 27 Aug 2:30pm – 4:30pm Baillie Gifford Story Box Free & Drop-in
Iranian Marjan Vafaian illustrates her books with beautiful, intricate pencil and ink drawings. Join her in this hands-on session to see how she creates her colourful designs and then try creating some patterned birds and animals of your own.
- Read more about Bijan & Manije. Link
More about The Parrot and the merchant:
- Read David almond’s words about this book in the Guardian. Link
- A blog report about storytelling of this book at Belsize Library. Link
- A review by Tania Khojasteh. Link
- A review by Carousel. Link
- A review by Jill Bennett. Link
- Learn about Marjan Vafaeian, illustrator of this book. Link
- A blog report of an event at Pimlico Library. Link
- Poetic side of Tiny Owl Publishing. Link
- the importance of introducing diversity to children. Link
- listen to this fantastic report of BBC Radio 4 about Rumi. Link
To visit our bookstore please click here.
ARE YOU SITTING COMFORTABLY?
Sat 27 Aug 10:00am – 10:30am Baillie Gifford Story Box FREE: Book in advance
Start your day with a magical trip into the world of words with one of our Festival authors. Stories, poems, songs or rhymes may feature in this free event suitable for children of all ages. Appearing today: Nahid Kazemi.
STORIES AND CRAFTS WITH NAHID KAZEMI
Sat 27 Aug 1:30pm – 2:30pm Baillie Gifford Imagination Lab £5.00
The Orange House stands at the end of the alley, feeling sad as shiny new buildings pop up all around. But could the house mean more to others than it initially thought? Hear extracts from this beautiful tale of friendship and join author-illustrator Nahid Kazemi to recreate the quirky, colourful pages of the book in this hands-on, creative workshop.
NAHID KAZEMI’S BIG DRAW
Sun 28 Aug 11:00am – 1:00pm Baillie Gifford Story Box Free & Drop-in
Join Iranian author-illustrator Nahid Kazemi to make a beautiful, bright collage of your dream house. Will it have lots of windows and stairs up to the sky? Or will it be a little house with a garden full of trees, like the one found in Nahid’s new book The Orange House?
To visit our bookstore please click here.
More to read about Nahid Kazemi:
- Read an interview with her here
- I saw the actual Orange House! The story behind the creation of The Orange House. Link
More to read about Alive Again:
- A review by Jill Bennett. Here.
- There is always hope. A blog post. Here
- Introducing global children’s literature. Here
- Poetic side of Tiny Owl Publishing. Here.
- A review of this book by Jill Bennett, here.
- An interview with Nahid Kazemi, illustrator & author of this book, here.
- A review by Parents in Touch, here.
- A review by Read it Daddy. here.
- A review by Let Them Be Small, here.
- A review by Outside In World. here.
- I saw the actual Orange House. Here