The Neighbourhood Surprise
We can't send your purchase immediately. Your order will be dispatched by 23rd June.
The Neighbourhood Surprise is an inclusive tale of a community coming together to celebrate one of their own.
Much to the disappointment of Koya and her friends, Mrs Fig is moving to a retirement home. Koya and her neighbours want to be included in the leaving party preparations for their dear friend! They get to work, helping their parents make delicious vegan and vegetarian food for everyone in the neighbourhood to enjoy.
The Neighbourhood Surprise introduces children to different kinds of diets, namely vegetarian and vegan, and includes facts about these lifestyles.
Discover fun book activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Meet the author and illustrator
Sarah van Dongen is a Dutch illustrator based in Amsterdam. After studying Literature in Utrecht and Amsterdam, she completed an MA in Children's Book Illustration in Cambridge. She grew up with vegetable gardens, an orangery, a herd of deer, and plenty of green space to explore! Sarah's childhood still inspires her work today. Her style is cheerful, personal and celebrates daily life.
Read more about The Neighbourhood Surprise:
- Watch the trailer for The Neighbourhood Surprise
- Download: FREE Neighbourhood Surprise activities!
- Watch an interview with Sarah van Dongen in her inspirational studio!
- Read a blog: The Neighborhood Surprise is now available in the US!
- Read a review: Sarah van Dongen’s warm-hearted illustrations are a joy to contemplate! – Red Reading Hub
- Read a review: A story of community, diversity, acceptance and love – Scope for Imagination
Check Em Out Books
This beautiful, cheery picture book celebrates unity and inclusion
Chris Routh, Librarian
A joyful intergenerational, multicultural, food-filled story!
Red Reading Hub
Sarah van Dongen's warm-hearted story is a joy to contemplate