Last: The Story of a White Rhino
Based on a true story, Last is a deeply moving picture book about wildlife conservation from renowned author Nicola Davies. This is her exciting debut as an illustrator.
A rhinoceros is captured by poachers and put in a zoo in the middle of a grey city, where all he can do is pace back and forth. He misses his home in the wild in Sudan, his mother, and the smell of earth and rain. He fears he may be the very last of his kind. Then one day, he is rescued and released back into the wild, to live free with the other rhinos.
Hope in a Scary World bundle
Last: The Story of a White Rhino, Bloom, There’s Room for Everyone and Felix After the Rain (paperbacks)
Discover fun book activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Nicola Davies is an award-winning author of over fifty books. She originally trained as a zoologist, studying animals in the field for many years. Nicola's books have been published in more than ten different languages and have won major awards in the UK, US, France, Italy and Germany. Last (2020, Tiny Owl) is her debut as an illustrator.
From the moment she could walk, Nicola has been fascinated by animals. She got her first pair of binoculars for her eighth birthday and remembers spotting a male blackbird through them! Nicola was one of the original presenters of the BBC children's wildlife programme The Really Wild Show. She lives in Powys, Wales. www.nicola-davies.com
Read more about Last:
- Watch: Nicola Davies answers your burning questions about Last!
- Watch: Virtual launch of Last with Helping Rhinos!
- Watch: Nicola Davies introduces her illustrative debut ahead of launch!
- Download: Discover Last teacher resources!
- Last is Nicola Davies’s debut as an illustrator! – School Library Journal
- Last highlights our need to do something to help the planet – What I Read
- Last is a book for our world today – A Library Lady
- Last is a book to buy right away! – Dolphin Booksellers
- Read a blog: Why Last should be your next read!
- Watch: Last trailer
- Last offers us a chance to save animals from extinction – Bookish Way to Play
- I hope Last will move others to be part of change – Red Reading Hub
What I Read
Last highlights our need to do something to help the planet
Red Reading Hub
Nicola Davies’ [story] is a fine example of how a relatively few, carefully chosen words can have a very powerful impact
Last is an important book about conservation and caring for nature [...] A book to buy right away!