Under the Great Plum Tree
Under the Great Plum Tree is a retelling of an Indian tale about a kind-hearted monkey and a silly old crocodile.
An unlikely friendship between Miss Bandari and Mr Magarmach forms when the pair meet at the foot of a plum tree deep in the heart of India. Mr Magarmach is old and his hunting days are over but Miss Bandari loves hearing his stories as they munch plums together. One day their friendship is tested but with courage, trust and forgiveness they discover that living happily together tastes just as sweet as Miss Bandari’s golden plums.
The story of the monkey and the crocodile is a fable from the Panchatantra, an ancient Indian collection of animal fables dated to 300 BCE. But it’s a tale from around the world and versions can be found in Kenya, Tanzania, Ghana, China, Japan and the Caribbean.
One Story Many Voices book bundle
Five books: Cinderella of the Nile, Quill Soup (paperbacks), The Phoenix of Persia, The Secret of the Tattered Shoes, Under the Great Plum Tree (hardbacks)
Discover fun book activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Sufiya Ahmed was born in India and arrived in the UK as a baby. She lived in Bolton, Lancashire, before moving to London where she still lives. Sufiya has worked in advertising and in the House of Commons, but is now a full-time author. In 2010 Sufiya set up the BIBI Foundation, a non-profit organisation, to arrange visits to the Houses of Parliament for diverse and underprivileged school children. She wrote this book about a kind-hearted bandari and a silly old magarmach after listening to her mother’s tales about the Indian jungle.
Reza Dalvand was born in 1989 in Iran. As a child, he had only one idea in mind: to draw. After studying graphic design at the Isfahan University of Fine Arts, he obtained a master’s degree in illustration at the University of Tehran. An llustrator and author of children’s books, he has published several children’s books in Persian, French, German and Japanese in Asia and Europe.
Read more about Under the Great Plum Tree:
- Watch: Sufyia Ahmed Reading Under the Great Plum Tree!
- Read more: Under the Great Plum Tree in ‘Best Children’s Books of the Year 2021’!
- Watch: Storyteller Christine reads Under the Great Plum Tree
- Read more: Yippee! Under the Great Plum Tree is nominated for the CILIP Kate Greenaway Medal 2021!
- Read more: Under the Great Plum Tree longlisted for the UKLA Book Awards 2021!
- Read more: Under the Great Plum Tree is a USBBY Outstanding International Book!
- The Sunday Times says Under the Great Plum Tree is One to Watch!
- BookTrust love Under the Great Plum Tree!
- Starred review from Kirkus Books!
- School Library Journal celebrates Under the Great Plum Tree as a best book of 2020!
- Read an article: Books for Keeps examines representation in Under the Great Plum Tree
- Read more: An interview with author Sufiya Ahmed
- Watch: Discover Story’s reading of Under the Great Plum Tree
- Read Jill Bennett’s review of Under the Great Plum Tree
- A must for traditional tale collections! – Books for Topics
- Under the Great Plum Tree is full of beauty! – author Pippa Goodhart
- Read: Under the Great Plum Tree is Discover Children’s Story Centre’s Book of the Month!
- Read a review: An originally designed, gorgeously illustrated new vision of an old tale! – Kirkus
- Under the Great Plum Tree is a gorgeously reimagined story – author Mathangi Subramanian
- Five stars for Under the Great Plum Tree – Youth Services Book Review
- Under the Great Plum Tree is perfect for reinvigorating reading – Read It, Daddy!
- A glorious tale from India – Library Girl and Book Boy
- Under the Great Plum Tree is a gripping story of friendship – Dolphin Booksellers
- School children love Under the Great Plum Tree!
- There is a rich sense of culture and heritage in Under the Great Plum Tree – The Values Bookshelf
- Under the Great Plum Tree brings back fond childhood memories! – SaraReads
- Under the Great Plum Tree featured as Crush of the Week! – Let’s Talk Picture Books
- Under the Great Plum Tree appeals to people all over the world! – BookBairn
- Under the Great Plum Tree celebrates the power of storytelling! – Three Cubs Book Review
- Under the Great Plum Tree is a simple tale that captivates the reader – The Great British Bookworm
- Under the Great Plum Tree is about choosing your friends wisely… – Ivy’s Library
- Reza Dalvand’s illustrations have a great richness – The Art Room Plant
- Twit Twoo! Watch our read aloud of Under the Great Plum Tree!
- Watch: ‘Books change lives!’ – Director of Authors Aloud UK, Annie Everall
- Read a blog: Whole school project inspired by Under the Great Plum Tree!
- Under the Great Plum Tree speaks to people all over the world – A Day for Play
This gorgeously illustrated new vision of an old tale... twists and turns.
The Sunday Times
A bright, profusely decorative book about loyal friendship. It zings.
A moving tale with courage, friendship and forgiveness at its core.