Thinker: My Puppy Poet and Me
£9.99 £6.99 (hardback)
Thinker: My Puppy Poet and Me is a unique collection of poems about the friendship between a young boy and his dog.
Seven-year-old Jace and his puppy Thinker are poets, putting everything they do into verse, from going to the park to philosophising to playing ball.
One day they’ll have the whole world figured out. For now, though, Thinker has to keep quiet in public, and he can’t go to school with Jace – he might recite a poem, and then Jace’s friends will say he’s weird.
But when Pets’ Day comes, and Thinker is allowed into the classroom at last, he finds it harder than he expected to keep his rhyming skills a secret.
Discover fun book activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Eloise Greenfield is the author of 47 books for children. She has received many awards and honours, including the 2018 Coretta Scott King-Virginia Hamilton Award for Lifetime Achievement and the Award for Excellence in Poetry for Children from the National Council of Teachers of English. Ms. Greenfield was born on May 17, 1929, in Parmele, North Carolina and grew up in Washington, DC, where she still lives.
Ehsan Abdollahi is an illustrator, animator and teaches at Tehran Art University in Iran. Ehsan creates handmade and hand-coloured paper in his collages, which are inspired by the environment, fabrics and clothes of the people he meets. Ehsan has illustrated When I Coloured in the World (2015) and the first of Tiny Owl’s intercultural projects A Bottle of Happiness (2016) by UK author Pippa Goodhart.
Read more about Thinker: My Puppy Poet and Me:
- Thinker picked as the best diverse children’s books by The Evening Standard
- Read review by The New York Times!
- Hurrah! Thinker nominated for Kate Greenaway Awards!
- Activity: Write a Limerick for National Limerick Day!
- Read a review by IBBY UK: Thinker is warm and lively!
- Thinker is introduced as one of the ‘Best Kids Books for this Summer’ by The Scotsman
- Listen to Eloise Greenfield recite her poetry in fab video for Thinker
- Watch this video to learn more about illustrator Ehsan Abdollahi
- Watch this video: Get inspired by poet Eloise Greenfield
- Thinker chosen as a top children’s book of 2018 in Ireland!
- Eloise Greenfield explains: how Thinker began
- Read this interview by author Eloise Greenfield
- Watch this creative video by illustrator Ehan Abdollahi: Make Thinker the Puppy for yourself
- Read a review by Read It Daddy: The poems danced off our tongues
- Thinker was selected as Perfect Picture Book Friday. Read a review by Patricia Nozell
- Read a review by Educational consultant Alison Kelly for Reading Zone
- Read a review by Jill Bennett: a delightfully quirky poetry book
- Ehsan Abdollahi named as ‘illustrator in residence’ at Edinburgh Book Festival 2018
- Happy National Poetry Day! ‘The key is to interweave poetry into everyday life!’ – Eloise Greenfield
- Read a review by Books for Keeps: Thinker dances with rhythm and meaning
- Read a round-up of the conclusions of our Children & Poetry campaign
- Read responses to our Children & Poetry Campaign by Eloise Greenfield, Roger Stevens, Tony Mitton, Sue Hardy- Dawson, Jean Atkin, Lorna Gutirrez, Joelle Taylor, Joshua Seigal, Julie Douglas, Liz Brownlee, John Lyons, James Carter
- Read an interview with Eloise Greenfield by the Federation of Children’s Book Group, FCBG
- Read a review by Minerva Reads: a wonderful introduction to poetry
- Read an article by Balkin Buddies about an event honouring Eloise Greenfield
- Thinker to be published in United States soon!
- Read a review by Mamma Filz: Thinker celebrates diversity in an engaging way!
- Read a blog by author Eloise Greenfield: Thinker makes a big splash at Edinburgh Book Festival!
- Read a review by teacher and blogger Aidan Severs: Thinker will entertain and educate young readers!
- Read a review by teacher and blogger Ed Finch: Thinker is another big win for Tiny Owl
- Read a review by Carousel: Thinker is full of generous and lively poems!
- Read a review by OtherwiseEdu: Thinker will warm your heart!
- ‘I fell in love with Thinker!’ An interview with Eloise Greenfield
- Read a review: A ten year old student gives his thoughts on Thinker
- Read a review: ‘Thinker’ celebrates difference and uniqueness!
- Read a review by Kids.Books.We.Love: Thinker will be treasured!
- Read a review by MammaFilz: Thinker sings from the pages!
Acclaimed African-American poet Eloise Greenfield brings this adorable collection of poetry to life for young readers.
In this charming book of linked poems... Abdollahi's collaged illustrations bring the characters to life with a soulful flair.
The poems are pitched at just the right reading and emotional level for a seven-year-old like Jace and move from free verse to rap.