This is the drum. This is the beat. Clap your hands. Stomp your feet! Babies love song, rhythm and dance. Come along and step to the beat in Tiny Owl’s new Children. Music. Life. series created by the award-winning picture book author and artist Ken Wilson-Max. This series explores different musical instruments from around the world and how they make you feel and move! Music helps the physical, emotional, and intellectual development of babies as well as strengthening cognitive and sensory development. So feel the rhythm, clap your hands, stomp your feet and enjoy making music with your baby!
Out of stock
The Drum is a delightful picture book, guaranteed to get you and your baby dancing to the beat!
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Ken Wilson-Max was born and raised in Zimbabwe. He travelled to the UK to study design and then began working in children’s publishing. He has illustrated and worked on more than 60 books, including Big Red Fire Truck, Little Blue Engine and the ‘Lenny’ series. Ken frequently works with children in schools, libraries and centres and also publishes a newspaper for children called Chicken! www.kenwilsonmax.com @kenwilsonmax
Born in Basel, Switzerland, Catell Ronca now lives and works in Lucerne. A graduate from the Royal College of Art in London, Catell works for a variety of international clients in publishing, editorial and advertising. Some of her favourite things are the Swiss Alps, hand-painted folk art and making ceramic tiles and objects. www.catellronca.com @catellronca
Read more about The Drum:
- Hurrah! The Drum nominated for Kate Greenaway Awards!
- The Drum longlisted for 2019 UKLA Book Awards!
- Carnegie and Kate Greenaway chooses Cinderella of the Nile and The Drum to promote diversity!
- Book Trust UK loves The Drum, read their wonderful review
- Great activity ideas by Love My Books
- Watch author Ken Wilson-Max read The Drum!
- The music series is designed to get children moving and thinking. An interview with author Ken Wilson-Max
- I wanted the colours to communicate life. An interview with illustrator Catell Ronca
- The Drum recommended as guided reading for nurseries!
- Get totally engrossed in the rhythm. A review by Parents in Touch
- Read: The Drum gets you moving! – Culturally Diverse Kids Books
- Read responses to our Music & Storytelling Campaign here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here here here, and here
- Read a roundup of our Music & Storytelling campaign and the conclusions everyone came to
- Read a blog: Dancing and singing, launching The Drum!
- Read a review by fab author Pippa Goodhart: a celebration of coming together, orchestrated by the beat of a drum
- Read this blog for International Dance Day: Shake your body and dance!
- Read a review by Jill Bennett: Once those drums came out…
- Read a review by Read It daddy: it’s time to embrace the rhythm of The Drum
- Listen to the drum and watch this fun book trailer
- Read a review by the wonderful Patricia Nozell: The Drum presents a celebration of how music unites people
- The Drum is introduced as a Perfect Picture Book Friday. Read this review
- Read a blog: music can bring us together
- Read a wonderful review by John Newman for The School Librarian
- Read a review by Research Rich Pedagogies: The Drum is a powerful celebration for all ages
- Read review by Picture Book Perfect: Every page of The Drum is a celebration!
- Watch and get into the spirit of The Drum with music from around the world!
- Books for Keeps gave 5 stars for The Drum. Read their review
The illustrations are vibrant and musical. Bright colours and a diverse community make the pages dance along.
This delightful picture book takes young readers on a musical journey through instruments around the world.
Clap your hands with the beat of the drum in this attractive hardback small format picture book.