Noko, the porcupine, is very hungry. On arriving at a village, he asks the other animals for some food and shelter. But, despite their full bellies, all the animals say they have nothing to spare. Never mind: he’ll just have to make do and cook a pot of soup from the quills off his back – a soup so tasty even the king likes it. Once the villagers hear of his plan they offer just enough ingredients to make a soup worthy of them all…
This African version of Stone Soup celebrates generosity and kindness – and the message that we can all benefit if we share our resources. It’s part of our One Story, Many Voices series, which explores well-known tales told from different cultural perspectives.
Two copies left
Quill Soup is a witty tale about the benefits of sharing our resources, and opening our arms to strangers.
One Story Many Voices book bundle
Five books: Cinderella of the Nile, Quill Soup (paperbacks), The Phoenix of Persia, The Secret of the Tattered Shoes, Under the Great Plum Tree (hardbacks)
Discover fun Quill Soup activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Alan Durant has written over one hundred books for children of all ages — from picture books to poetry to young adult thrillers. His picture books include the award-winning Burger Boy, Always and Forever and Dear Tooth Fairy. He regularly visits schools, libraries and festivals in the UK and abroad, giving talks and running writing workshops. Alan is married with three children and lives in Brighton.
Dale Blankenaar is a full-time picture book illustrator and designer from South Africa. He has illustrated over 30 picture books (locally and internationally). Dale has won several international awards including the IBBY Honour list and the Publishers Choice Award at the 2017 China Shanghai International Book Fair.
Read more about Quill Soup:
- Yippee! Quill Soup is longlisted for the Kate Greenaway Medal 2020!
- Yay! Quill Soup is awarded a White Raven by the International Youth Library Foundation!
- Yippee! Illustrator Dale Blankenaar awarded a Golden Island Prize in NAMI Concours!
- Hurrah! Quill Soup is SHORTLISTED for English Association 4-11 Picture Books Awards!
- Wowee! Quill Soup is longlisted for the English Association 4-11 Picture Book Awards!
- Quill Soup is on SLJ’s list of the best books of 2020!
- Read more: Quill Soup is part of CLPE’s Power of Reading programme!
- Quill Soup celebrates how stories travel and transform! – Pathways into Children’s Publishing
- Quill Soup is all about sharing – English Association
- Hooray! Quill Soup is nominated for the Kate Greenaway Medal 2020!
- Quill Soup has a powerful message about generosity and kindness – English Association Picture Book Awards
- Check out these fun Quill Soup activity ideas from Lovemybooks!
- Quill Soup sets your imagination alight! –Dolphin Booksellers
- Quill Soup is an exhortation to open your arms to strangers – Caroline Fielding
- Quill Soup is about welcoming strangers and sharing resources – Minerva Reads
- Quill Soup is full of movement, energy and life! – Bookbairns
- The importance of sharing is the key message in Quill Soup! – Little Library Owl
- Every school and home should have a copy of Quill Soup! – The Values Bookshelf
- Discover free Quill Soup book activities
- Quill Soup celebrates all the vibrancy of African culture – Parents in Touch
- Quill Soup is about the need to belong somewhere! – illustrator Dale Blankenaar
- Quill Soup is a story for everyone! – author Alan Durant
- Quill Soup is timely and important – Bellis Does Books
- Read a blog: Quill Soup brings us together!
- Big day: Quill Soup is out today!
- Discover the folk tale behind Quill Soup: Stone Soup!
- Watch our Twit Twoo! read aloud of Quill Soup!
- Quill Soup is a fabulous twist on a well-known tale! – Booksb4bedtime
- Quill Soup is a timely and important tale – TangledTales
- Quill Soup got us talking about sharing and the importance of community – Playing_withTandB
- A revitalising African-inspired retelling of an old fable – Kind Kids Book Club
- Quill Soup celebrates kindness and generosity – Rascals and Rainbows