Fair Shares is a fun yet simple story asking children to consider: What is fair?
When Bear and Hare try to reach some juicy pears, they realise they need some help. Hare finds three chairs but is it fair that Hare has two chairs and Bear only one? When they have the same, Hare still can’t reach the pears! So a little friend teaches them that fair isn’t always everyone getting the same thing….with hilarious results!
A beautifully simple picture book that considers, what is fair? The answer is not always as simple as you’d think!
Discover fun book activities
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Pippa Goodhart is the author of over a hundred children’s books, including the prize-winning picture book You Choose, and the Winnie the Witch series which she writes under the pen name of Laura Owen. She trained as a teacher, and worked for many years in bookselling before becoming a mother and a writer.
Anna Doherty is an illustrator from sunny Scotland. She adores drawing, writing, and every single dog in the world. She owns too many pencils and she likes tiny sketch books. Outside of illustration, her main skills in life are rock, paper, scissors and swimming a long way under water without breathing. Her other books include Big Ideas for Curious Minds, Sticky, and The Brontës.
Read more about Fair Shares:
- Fair Shares is perfect for shared reading sessions! – The English Association
- Fair Shares sets your imagination alight! – Dolphin Booksellers
- Wait for the twist at the end! – Read review from Kids Books We Love
- How can we explain the idea of fairness to children?
- Read this Instagram review of Fair Shares
- Read this heart-warming review of Fair Shares
- Read author Pippa Goodhart’s Fair Shares ideas for teachers!
- Read Pippa Goodhart’s interview with Anna Doherty on Fair Shares!
- Fair Shares is great for promoting empathy – Readers that Care
- Fair Shares is full of great rhyming! – Reading Pebbles
Books for Topics
A delight to read!
A beautifully illustrated picture book...which gently teaches children about fairness and sharing.
Lively and thought-provoking!