Chalk Eagle is a wordless picture book about the power of imagination, bringing to life every child’s
dream of soaring into the sky.
A young boy living in the heart of a busy city spots an eagle swooping overhead, and dreams of what it would be like to fly away and soar over mountains and rivers. Using a little chalk he draws his own eagle – and then himself – into existence. The two fly away together, and embark on a wonderful adventure of the boy’s own imagination. With original screenprinted illustrations by the award-winning Iranian artist Nazli Tahvili, this wordless picture book is a testament to the power of imagination and brings to life every child’s dream of soaring into the sky.
Wordless Picture Books bundle
Chalk Eagle and Caged (paperbacks)
Download our fun activity pack for this book!
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Read more about Chalk Eagle:
- Chalk Eagle was selected among top 10 wordless picture books!
- Chalk Eagle Chosen for refugee library by IBBY UK
- Chalk Eagle chosen for the IBBY Italia Silent Books Honours List
- Read a review by Children’s Books Ireland: Chalk Eagle opens up an open, imaginative world
- Read a review by Jenny Duke, an illustrator and literary consultant
- Watch Chalk Eagle’s stunning animated book trailer
- Chalk Eagle was picked for Perfect Picture Book Friday
- Read about our wordless picture book campaign and some of the responses here, here, here and here
- Elizabeth Laird: we need to be educated in how to use wordless picture books. Video
- Highlights of our wordless picture book campaign: universal, imaginative, beautiful
- Read a blog post:Wordless picture books speak to all of us!
- A blogpost: Look to Chalk Eagle for a New Year’s resolution
- Chalk Eagle speaks all languages. A teacher’s view
- Five reasons your school needs Chalk EagleUsing
- Read an experience from a tutor: Chalk Eagle in my lessons give students confidence
- Read a teacher’s view: I would use Chalk Eagle in our primary school – Mrs McFarlane
- Read a review by Read it Daddy: what it would be like to soar over mountains and rivers
- ًRead a review by Parents in Touch: Children’s imaginations play in Chalk Eagle
- Read a review by Stephanie Cummings: dreaming of flying high into the wide open sky
- Read a review by educational consultant Laura Davies: Chalk Eagle has real value in the classroom
- Read a review by Books for Keeps: a dreamscape between reality and imagination
- Read a review by Just Imagine: a testament to the power of imagination
- Read a review by Wordless Books: Soar above the everyday with Chalk Eagle
- Sophie Turton, a primary school teacher, explains how her class used Chalk Eagle in an art-project
- Read a review by Laura Bellini: Chalk Eagle gives children the chance to find their own words
- Read a review by Outside in World: Chalk Eagle is a testament to the power of imagination
- Read an interview with Nazli Tahvili by Let’s Talk Picture Books
- Read a blog: Are people buying wordless picture books?!
- Read a review by Achuka: Chalk Eagle is richly evocative
- Read a blog: Chalk Eagle is perfect lockdown reading