£8.99 £5.99 (paperback)
Caged is a witty tale of freedom, ingenuity and thwarted ambition.
While a bluebird builds her nest in the forest, two eccentric gentlemen have a more ambitious construction in mind: a vast palatial building, made from birdcages filled with colourful parrots. As the trees come down and the structure goes up, the bluebird watches on. More and more caged birds are consigned to their fate until at last a huge dome completes the work. But when the celebrating architects go in to admire their creation, the little bluebird brings their ambitions crashing down around them.
The third in our Wordless Picture Book series, after Little Eli and Chalk Eagle, Caged is a witty tale of freedom and retribution for readers of any age.
Wordless Picture Books bundle
Chalk Eagle and Caged (paperbacks)
Download a free Caged activity pack
Download a free poster with beautiful artwork from this book!
Watch the book trailer
Meet the author and illustrator
Duncan Annand is a Cambridge-based former architect, whose skill shines through clearly in the majestic structure created in Caged. Duncan graduated from the MA Children’s Book Illustration at Cambridge in 2017. This is his first picture book.
Read more about Caged:
- Read a review by Eye Magazine: There are so many ways to enjoy Caged!
- Caged and Chalk Eagle chosen for refugee library by IBBY UK
- Watch: Make a bird mobile at home!
- Watch: Read along: Caged
- Read a review: A very strong moral message – Wordlessbooks
- Read a review by Jill Bennett: Caged makes hearts and imaginations take flight!
- Read a review by illustrator Anna Doherty: Caged is full of tiny details that add a chuckle to the story
- Read a review by Read It Daddy: Caged will help your little ones make sense of the world!
- Read a review by Parents in Touch: Caged encourages children’s creativity and imagination!
- Read a review by Illustration Magazine: Caged is delicate and delightful!
- Read creator of Caged Duncan Annand’s response to our Wordless Picture Book campaign
- Caged will be launched at Edinburgh Festival!
- Watch: Find out about the inspiration behind Caged
- Watch an interview with Duncan Annand: the mind behind Caged
- Watch a wonderful book trailer for witty wordless picture book Caged!
- Read how Caged can be used in a classroom: Caged took my breath away! – Lesley McFarlane
- Read a blog: Calling on libraries and bookshops to feature wordless picture books!
- A Reading-based SEN consultant shares her thoughts on the benefits of Wordless Picture Books like Caged
- Read a blog: Tiny Owl big adventure at Edinburgh Book Festival
- Read an interview with Duncan Annand: Caged emphasises freedom
- Read a blog: Are people buying wordless picture books?!
- Read a review by Dr Lina Iordonaki: Caged is beautiful and thought-provoking
- Read a review by illustrator Laura Bellini: Caged is full of beautiful, bright colours!
- Scottish Book Trust gives 5 tips for sharing wordless picture books
- Read a review by Books for Topics: A primary teacher says why she loves Caged!
- Read a review by Melissa Jordan: Caged is a wordless picture book that makes you think – Melissa Jordan
- Read a review by English 4-11: Caged is a mini masterpiece!
- Read a review by Kids.Books.We.Love: Caged is fascinating!
- Read a review by Stories for Little Ones: Caged opens up conversation!
- Read: Check out this Caged review all the way from Turkey!
Caged works best when savoured slowly, observed closely and with time to think and talk. It’s wonderful.
This is an excellent initiative to encourage discussion, enhance the appreciation of illustrations in picture books and develop comprehension skills.
A lovely picture book that can be read on different levels depending on the age of the child.